Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness.

Helen Keller

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lady Gaga, the VMA 2010 awards, MP3's available from the winners..



I've never known quite what to think about Lady Gaga. As a middle aged woman who was a child of the 70's and grew up on Rock n' Roll, I guess I just don't "get it." As a Rock n' Roll enthusiast who suffered through Madonna, Lady Gaga seems to me to no more than a repeat, a mulligan of Madonnas over the top-ness through the 80's and early 90's. Articles mention Gaga, I'm guessing this is not her real name, graduated from NYU with a degree in Art and that her shows are a real live display of some perverted idea of Andy Warhol, emphasizing exaggerated sexuality and violence, complete with a new version of Madonna's pointed boob dress that created it's own mega twitter. It's hard to dispute that part of Lady Gaga's appeal is that we wonder how far she can go, how unexpected can she be. It's not a bad marketing plan actually. This middle aged Rock n' Roll fan will admit she has some talent as an entertainer but I'm not so sure her "Alejandro" video is true art and if it is, it's art I have censored my six year old from watching. It did not stop her from donning her meat dress and winning big at the VMA's this past weekend so I'm featuring today, the singles and the artists that won this weekend. And while PETA beats on Lady Gaga, you can still enjoy her music. Me, I'm happy as a musical ludite.

Remember my portals for books and DVD's. Thank you for looking !
My DVD store
My Book store

No comments:

Post a Comment