Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness.

Helen Keller

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Fish Called Wanda: Yes, this is an old movie but TIMELESS!

It was 1988. I was a college student and was dating a Monty Python fan, no..fanatic! Whereas, I found Python funny, I was not as enamored with it as he was and when asked to go see "A Fish Called Wanda", I did so kicking and screaming. I was never so happy to be proved wrong. This was the first movie where I literally saw movie patrons fall out of their seats buckling with laughter, myself included. I believe this was also the first movie that I ever saw where I spent so much time laughing, I never finished even half my popcorn. Now that is a true testament.
After a bank robbery gone bad leads to the arrest of George, the main perpetrator, the surrounding characters, Wanda (Jamie Lee Curtis), Otto (Kevin Kline) and Ken (Michael Palin), connive and back stab each other to make off with the loot. Archie Leach (John Cleese), is George's barrister. Wanda uses herself as bait to seduce Archie into revealing where George stashed the loot before his arrest. Embedded in this seemingly simple plot are perfectly timed jokes, well woven subplots, unforgettable characters and great performances most notably by Kevin Kline who really demonstrates how brilliantly adept he is as an actor. After proving himself in Sophie's Choice in a dramatic role, he is also absolutely superb in a comedic one. In these dark, economic times, dusting off "A Fish Called Wanda" will brighten your day. Classic in any sense of the word and enthusiastically recommended.


You can purchase "A Fish Called Wanda" at my DVD store or a the link below!

No comments:

Post a Comment